East Texas News & Opinions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teen Marijuana Use Up, Alcohol Use Down

4 posters

Go down

Teen Marijuana Use Up, Alcohol Use Down  Empty Teen Marijuana Use Up, Alcohol Use Down

Post  John T. Ford Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:10 pm

Published December 14, 2010 | Associated Press

WASHINGTON – America's teens are using more marijuana and less alcohol, according to an annual government study of eighth-, 10th- and 12th-graders across the country.

Some 6.1 percent of high-school seniors reported using marijuana this year, up from 5.2 percent in 2009, according to the Monitoring the Future survey released by the National Institutes of Health.

Marijuana use by 10th-graders climbed from 2.8 percent to 3.3 percent, and for eighth-grade students it edged up from 1.0 percent to 1.2 percent.

"These high rates of marijuana use during the teen and preteen years, when the brain continues to develop, place our young people at particular risk," said Dr. Nora D. Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

On the other hand, binge drinking is on the decline. While 23.2 percent of high school seniors reported having five or more drinks in a row, that's down from 25.2 percent a year earlier. The binge rate for this age group peaked at 31.5 percent in 1998.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/12/14/teen-marijuana-use-alcohol-use/#ixzz186t7ORXH
John T. Ford
John T. Ford

Back to top Go down

Teen Marijuana Use Up, Alcohol Use Down  Empty Re: Teen Marijuana Use Up, Alcohol Use Down

Post  Dick Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:03 pm

Unfortunately, we can't do direct studies on how marijuana affects developing brains: "Ok happy 14th birthday, Max. Here, I want you to come back and smoke one of these every day for the next six weeks. Then we will take some tests."

I really don't know what to think of the above alcohol/marijuana data. Of course I don't want teens using any drugs, but on some level, all legality aside, I would rather see a teen using marijuana than alcohol-simply because high behavior is generally less destructive than drunken behavior(source: many personal observations).

Dick

Back to top Go down

Teen Marijuana Use Up, Alcohol Use Down  Empty Re: Teen Marijuana Use Up, Alcohol Use Down

Post  Aaron Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:20 pm

[/quote]"Of course I don't want teens using any drugs, but on some level, all legality aside, I would rather see a teen using marijuana than alcohol-simply because high behavior is generally less destructive than drunken behavior(source: many personal observations.

Couldnt agree with ya more Dick. (Many personal observations)
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleSouthernMama Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:47 pm

a deeper issue here is the concept that a number of early marijuana users are self-medicating for other conditions that may not be addressed in their current situation. teens with ADD/ADHD, asperger's, OCD, depression, anxiety, and sometimes other medical concerns wouldn't use at all if they weren't self-medicating something that may need Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, or Physical Therapy that they aren't getting because the current medical climate is "less is more" in terms of treatment.
LittleSouthernMama
LittleSouthernMama

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum