East Texas News & Opinions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smith County Sheriff's Deputies Investigating Pit Bull Shootings

4 posters

Go down

Smith County Sheriff's Deputies Investigating Pit Bull Shootings Empty Smith County Sheriff's Deputies Investigating Pit Bull Shootings

Post  XXStatus Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:23 am

Smith County Sheriff's deputies are investigating whether a man will face animal cruelty charges after he killed two pit bulls over the weekend.
Sheriff's Lt. Tony Dana said the incident happened Saturday afternoon on County Road 129.
Dana said a man called 911 to report that his neighbor had just killed his two dogs and that deputies better hurry to the scene.
According to sheriff's reports, the man told dispatchers he was not afraid to take care of the situation himself and he wasn't afraid to go to jail.
Dana said that when deputies arrived, they learned the man who shot the dogs did so after they attacked and killed one of his goats.
“He shot one of the dogs on the spot and then he followed the other dog back to the yard of the dog owner where he shot that animal,” he said.
Dana said that under the law, people have the right to protect their livestock.
“We don't know at this point if the man will face charges. What we are looking at is the fact that he followed the second dog to its home before shooting it,” he said.
XXStatus
XXStatus

Back to top Go down

Smith County Sheriff's Deputies Investigating Pit Bull Shootings Empty What to Do?

Post  XXStatus Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:28 am

I believe you should be allowed to protect your livestock. I would have done partly the same as this guy.... but I don't know about shooting a dog in it's own backyard. Even had my pit attacked another persons animal, if you try shooting it in my own yard, that may very well get you shot in the process.
XXStatus
XXStatus

Back to top Go down

Smith County Sheriff's Deputies Investigating Pit Bull Shootings Empty Re: Smith County Sheriff's Deputies Investigating Pit Bull Shootings

Post  John T. Ford Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:35 am

Oh ...
I so agree ...
I think the guy was nuts to even go on the property of another man with a loaded weapon. I think he should be charged and consider himself lucky to have not been shot. Shooting an animal on your property or even on public property is one thing but, this is Texas. I would not advise going onto anyone's property with a loaded weapon. That is the ingredients for disaster.
John T. Ford
John T. Ford

Back to top Go down

Smith County Sheriff's Deputies Investigating Pit Bull Shootings Empty Re: Smith County Sheriff's Deputies Investigating Pit Bull Shootings

Post  Aaron Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:05 pm

AGREE with ya both Very Happy
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleSouthernMama Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:43 pm

unfortunately for the poor dogs...

the livestock owner was well within his rights to shoot the dog on his property. however, he was WAY out of line to go to the dog owner's property and shoot the other dog.

the dog owner is a typical ignorant son of a gun that lets his pits roam. i tell ya...with kids and small pets at my house, loose, neighborhood roaming pit bulls that come on our property are seen as potential hostiles. there is no excuse for not having control of your pit. period. part of responsible dog ownership is preventing your dog from harming other people's bodies and property.
LittleSouthernMama
LittleSouthernMama

Back to top Go down

Smith County Sheriff's Deputies Investigating Pit Bull Shootings Empty re: unfortunate for the dogs

Post  XXStatus Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:02 pm

I agree, but I think it's getting to the point that all dog owners need to be more responsible. I have a small farm that backs up to a larger farm. They have 4 Great Pyrenees that came on my property.... started chasing my donkey and then attacked my cur dog. When I got to them I only had duck shot and peppered them pretty good but still had over a thousand dollars in vet bills for my dog. You'll never see that story in the paper because no pit was involved.... and yes I've been partially reimbursed for the vet bill.
XXStatus
XXStatus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down