East Texas News & Opinions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E. Texas teacher charged with having improper relationship

3 posters

Go down

E. Texas teacher charged with having improper relationship Empty E. Texas teacher charged with having improper relationship

Post  John T. Ford Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:02 pm

MINEOLA, TX (KLTV) - A Mineola teacher has been charged with having an improper relationship with a student.

The Mineola Police Department arrested 43-year-old, Jo Ann Stephens on December 16, on charges of an improper relationship with a student. The student has since graduated from Mineola High School.

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=13702592#

I have read many comments on KLTV's site this evening on this topic. I think the Superintendent should be held accountable for placing Mrs. Stephens on administrative leave when this story broke last August. What do you think?
John T. Ford
John T. Ford

Back to top Go down

E. Texas teacher charged with having improper relationship Empty Re: E. Texas teacher charged with having improper relationship

Post  LittleSouthernMama Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:09 pm

there are obviously politics in play in this story. for some reason, the Super did not put this teacher on administrative leave pending an investigation...and we all know there must be some kind of "brother in law" deal in play.

realistically, female adult offenders with male child victims do not face punitive measures, but are, sickeningly, heaped with sick praise. instead of vilifying the teacher, the community supports, upholds, and even praises her for her devious actions. at the end of the day, this is the story of a young man that was taken advantage of by a grown woman seeking to fulfill her sexual deviance with little or no regard for any repercussions he may have in the future.

long story short... No this is more caveman garbage. woman + teen boy = OK in the eyes of the community where as man + teen girl = outrage and man + teen boy = lynch mob... Evil or Very Mad
LittleSouthernMama
LittleSouthernMama

Back to top Go down

E. Texas teacher charged with having improper relationship Empty Re: E. Texas teacher charged with having improper relationship

Post  John T. Ford Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:20 pm

I agree ....
I suspect the fact that Mrs. Stephens husband is a principle, the superintendent, for this reason chose not to act on this issue. I believe this represents neglect in the duties of the superintendent and this absolutely should be addressed at the next school board meeting. However, I suspect theses "good ol' boy" politics run deep in many East Texas ISD's!
John T. Ford
John T. Ford

Back to top Go down

Post  John T. Ford Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:52 am

Is anyone else keeping up with the comments on this story on KLTV's website? It amazes me how backwards some people are in trying to justify Mrs. Stephens actions. Some are immature students and some are friends of the Stephens I suspect but, some are really that ignorant.

I believe that attitudes are still that since it was a 15 year old male then there is no harm done here or crime committed. However, had it been a female student and a male teacher attitudes would have been different and moreover had it been a male teacher and male student attitudes certainly would have been different. What do you think. Are attitudes more relaxed because this was a male student. Do you think the fact that he was male makes him less of a victim than a female student?
John T. Ford
John T. Ford

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleSouthernMama Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:55 am

what amazes me is the number of responders that are probably part of the couple's congregation at church. rather than seeking to protect the most vulnerable of the flock (i.e. children), they choose to expend a great deal of energy defending a woman that has been charged with a sexually based crime against a child that is supported by incontrovertible DNA evidence.

Rolling Eyes some people can justify anything. Evil or Very Mad
LittleSouthernMama
LittleSouthernMama

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:46 pm

John T. Ford wrote:I agree ....
I suspect the fact that Mrs. Stephens husband is a principle, the superintendent, for this reason chose not to act on this issue...

I suspect this as well! This teacher should have been immediately placed on administrative leave. Perhaps this coupled with personnel issues. No doubt a teacher of her experience is taking a big load!

Dick

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:51 pm

LittleSouthernMama wrote:what amazes me is the number of responders that are probably part of the couple's congregation at church. rather than seeking to protect the most vulnerable of the flock (i.e. children), they choose to expend a great deal of energy defending a woman that has been charged with a sexually based crime against a child that is supported by incontrovertible DNA evidence.

Rolling Eyes some people can justify anything. Evil or Very Mad

Ages ago, there was a similar case within a church I attended. The members of the congregation gave love and support to the family, praying for justice. The person in question was convicted, but the overall tone of the congregation was the acknowledgment of sinners and criminals in any congregation-rather than the delusion that the person should be given a free pass.

That case was a bit more blatant in nature, but I feel that the same church and community reaction is the proper one for the Mineola teacher.

Dick

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleSouthernMama Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:29 pm

honestly, dick, i need to see compassion for the victim. while it is important to remain forgiving of the offender, it is critical that the victim receive the wider community support as they are the ones that received the abuse and desperately need the succor of those around them. often victims retain a deeper guilt that plagues them for life, should we then give them less support than the support the congregation offers the abuser?
LittleSouthernMama
LittleSouthernMama

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleSouthernMama Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:51 pm

i find it interesting that this thread has an insane number of views and so few replies. i guess we tweaked the small town gossip tiger's tail with this discussion.

let's bottom line it for the lurkers that wandering...

women that have sex with underage boys are vile abusers that should be punished. teachers that are women that have sex with underage boys are some of the dregs of humanity. school administrators that hide or cover up abuse for political reasons are involved in the conspiracy to rob children of their youth en fait accompli
LittleSouthernMama
LittleSouthernMama

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleSouthernMama Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:00 pm

:sigh: that should say...

ARE wandering...excuse the typo!

sometimes a "no edit" board can be a pain, but its always a good thing!
LittleSouthernMama
LittleSouthernMama

Back to top Go down

E. Texas teacher charged with having improper relationship Empty Police waiting on former Mineola teacher to turn herself in

Post  John T. Ford Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:56 pm

It amazes me how many ignorant uneducated people are of the opinion that this was not abuse based solely on the fact that the victim in this case was male. Anytime adults prey on children it is abuse.

Yesterday, on the liberal talk radio show 99.3 Talk FM KZTK with ROGER GRAY they were discussing this very topic. I am not sure who Roger Gray's partner is on the show but, this man with his shoe size IQ was actually condoning the actions of this woman.

Even, Roger Gray talked about the young man's role and seeming justified these action because of the desires of young men and did not mention the responsibility of this woman at all. Finally, at the end of the segment, he did condemn the abuse of children. Liberal thinking people are void of the desires to protect our children from sexual predators.

These ignorant attitudes about sexual abuse exist among both the uneducated and the educated. Adults preying on our children in the classroom for the sole purpose of their own sexual gratification is wrong and it is abuse. This behavior must be condemn in our society to protect our children.

Now, it appears this ex-teacher is going to add more trouble to herself by evading the law.
John T. Ford
John T. Ford

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleSouthernMama Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:14 pm

Evil or Very Mad here we go again...

this perverted nut job on the lam from the police...and her own husband apparently. i've had enough of this case, the cronyism and nepotism involved, and the number of ignorant locals that keep harping with the same two refrains...

i've heard a million times about this couple being such "amazing" Christians...really? wow. fascinating assessment.

i've heard eleventy billion times that it isn't abuse when the perp is a woman and the vic is a teenaged male. the law states otherwise, tyvm.

this predatory criminal needs to be in jail. i hope her downfall drags the Mineola ISD super down with her. the super protected and covered up this situation potentially allowing this predator to continue her abusive and criminal behavior all because the criminal's husband was being groomed for promotion in the district. wow. gotta love the public school system.
LittleSouthernMama
LittleSouthernMama

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down