East Texas News & Opinions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you think the appropriate course of action is for Henderson County?

+4
kathys71
LittleSouthernMama
sdm1201
John T. Ford
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What do you think the appropriate course of action is for Henderson County?

What do you think the appropriate course of action is for Henderson County? - Page 2 Vote_lcap38%What do you think the appropriate course of action is for Henderson County? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 6 ]
What do you think the appropriate course of action is for Henderson County? - Page 2 Vote_lcap44%What do you think the appropriate course of action is for Henderson County? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 44% 
[ 7 ]
What do you think the appropriate course of action is for Henderson County? - Page 2 Vote_lcap18%What do you think the appropriate course of action is for Henderson County? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 16

What do you think the appropriate course of action is for Henderson County? - Page 2 Empty Re: What do you think the appropriate course of action is for Henderson County?

Post  John T. Ford Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:48 am

Sorry 'bout calling you on your BS there Deist, but you are not fooling any of us. Your hate and anger towards all things Christian is too revealing. Deist my ass ......
John T. Ford
John T. Ford

Back to top Go down

What do you think the appropriate course of action is for Henderson County? - Page 2 Empty Re: What do you think the appropriate course of action is for Henderson County?

Post  kathys71 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:04 pm

You know what ....these people against what is displayed on MY COURTHOUSE LAWN ..are known in TEXAS as foreigners without a clue....GO BACK OR GO WHERE YOU ASSUME YOUR COMFORTABLE AT...now where you eventually end up is heaven or hell and its a choice you make....BECAUSE GOD GAVE US FREE WILL!...I pay my taxes here in Henderson County and voted for MY elected officials because they are good moral people...if ya got a problem with a statue of a Mother and Father adoring a baby in a manger you must HATE your pictures of your children, so-called loved ones, and memories...THANKS FOR ALL THE FREE PUBLICITY FOR THE LORD! THIS IS WHAT HE WANTED....AND GUESS WHAT ELSE..HE USED AN ATHIEST TO GET IT! Waht an awesome GOD HE IS!

kathys71

Back to top Go down

Post  mhilljack Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:23 pm

These people that Don't belive in any thing that our country does .. Need to go back where they belong and LEAVE us Alone ..
Bull on non belivers.. Take a HIKE

mhilljack

Back to top Go down

What do you think the appropriate course of action is for Henderson County? - Page 2 Empty Is America a Christian Nation

Post  John T. Ford Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:27 pm

We have all heard the liberal lie that America is not a Christian Nation nor were our Founders Christian. We even heard Obama say we are not a Christian Nation, not only once but twice. This in fact is a lie perpetrated by the liberals who seek to re-write our history. Our Founding Fathers practiced what is known as Christian Theism. Christian Theism is defined as belief in the bible. Some of our Founding Fathers had a problem the denominational religion. The fear was that denominational religions had the power to join the state and we should all know that they did not want this, that why we have the 1st Amendment to the US Constitution. They preferred a doctrinal religion, meaning the basic nondenominational religion based only upon the written doctrine, as in the Bible.

Our Founders did, from time to time, have negative things to say about denominational religion, for reasons stated above. Now, our liberal friends and the anti-American atheists have taken these negative quotes about denominational religion and used them out of context to brainwash our youth and the ignorant into believing that our Founding Fathers were not devoutly Godly men and that this Country was not founded upon Godly principles. This could not be anything further from the truth. In fact, in 1892 the Supreme Court declared that the US was indeed a Christian Nation in what is known as The Trinity Decision. The documentation and evidence of the doctrinal Christian religion origin of this nation is vast and undeniable.

Listed below is some of the evidence that Christian Theism was indeed the national doctrinal religion of the Country:

*Emblazoned over the Speaker of the House in the US Capitol are the words "In God We Trust."

*The Supreme Court building built in the 1930's has carvings of Moses and the Ten Commandments.

*God is mentioned in stone all over Washington D.C., on its monuments and buildings.

*As a nation, we have celebrated Christmas to commemorate the Savior's birth for centuries.

*Oaths in courtrooms have invoked God from the beginning.

*The founding fathers often quoted the Bible in their writings.*

*Every president that has given an inaugural address has mentioned God in that speech.

*Prayers have been said at the swearing in of each president.

*Each president was sworn in on the Bible, saying the words, "So help me God."

*Our national anthem mentions God.

*The liberty bell has a Bible verse engraved on it.

*The original constitution of all 50 states mentions God.

*Chaplains have been in the public payroll from the very beginning.

*Our nations birth certificate, the Declaration of Independence, mentions God four times.

*The Bible was used as a textbook in the schools.

http://www.allabouthistory.org/separation-of-church-and-state.htm
John T. Ford
John T. Ford

Back to top Go down

Post  John T. Ford Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Sister Lilly wrote:ISTM that our nations laws give each one of us equality. The Henderson County elected officials took an oath of office that they would protect and defend our law and constitution. This means that Islamist, Hindus, Jews, Budist, Christians and all others are to be treated fair and equal.
If the local government wants to promote a holiday for Christ; then they better be just as concerned about promoting holidays for the others. No nation was ever free when they denied the holidays of the minority religions.
Give every religious holiday a big display on the courthouse lawn or give everyone nothing.

The lights and the nativity scene are put on by Light up Athens, not the local Government. The controversy is that the nativity scene is on the Court House lawn. But, this does not violate the establishment clause of the 1st Amendment because it is not the only decoration on the lawn. If the nativity scene was the only decoration on the lawn then it could be argued that it may be an endorsement of one religion. But it's not. There is no argument here. Only the disgust of a very few hateful people within our community.
John T. Ford
John T. Ford

Back to top Go down

What do you think the appropriate course of action is for Henderson County? - Page 2 Empty Fruitless

Post  Sister Lilly Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:18 pm

Thank you John for the effort to educate me.
Alas, I am here. I see and hear what is going on every day in Athens.
The empty headed saber rattling, the exaggerated braggadocio, and the placing of pride above common sense and knowledge.
Do not gamble my tax dollars on a lawsuit Henderson County can't win.
Face it, we know this will be very expensive to defend in the courts. Our chance of winning is slim.

Sister Lilly

Back to top Go down

Post  John T. Ford Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:31 pm

Sister Lilly,
I am not so sure that Henderson County is in violation of anything. Initially I felt the same way. I thought the nativity scene should come down and not risk a lawsuit that was a no win case. However, County Attorney Clint Davis believes they are within their legal right in this case. The FFRF are stating a Supreme Court case, County of Allegheny v. ACLU of Pittsburgh, 492 U.S. 573 (1989), held that a county government’s creche displayed in the county courthouse was an unconstitutional endorsement of religion. In that case, the nativity scene was the only decoration on the lawn.

A prior case Lynch v. Donnelly 463 U.S. 783 (1983), states that if there are other secular decoration, such as reindeer, santa clauses, candy canes, etc. then it cannot be construed as promoting a single religion and therefore is not in violation of the establishment clause of the 1st Amendment. However, it also goes on to say that each case would have to be viewed on an individual basis.

What it boils down to is that FFRF is most likely bluffing and just trying to bully a small Christian community in East Texas. But, there is still the possibility they could sue. If they do it will not be as cut and dry as FFRF initially claimed. FFRF would have to prove that the intention behind the Christmas decorations was for Henderson County to promote specifically Christianity. I don't think that would be that easy. But, let me say, I am not a lawyer nor a scholar in Constitutional law. This is my little conclusion on the information I have read on this topic.

I say leave it and wait and see if they sue. Atheist make up 1.6% of the population in this Country. One person in a county of over 70,000 people complains about the nativity scene to these anti-American wacko's and the county is going to back down without a fight when unless proven in court other wise are within their legal rights to celebrate Christmas? I don't think so!
John T. Ford
John T. Ford

Back to top Go down

What do you think the appropriate course of action is for Henderson County? - Page 2 Empty @John

Post  Process Deist Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:33 pm

I have finished reading and researching your post on History.
I was not surprised to see that it is financed by Rev. Rick Warren and Saddleback Church.
Their writings are not balanced and certainly not endorsed by Mainline Protestant Churches. The reading I did indicated a strong Fundamentalist, Evangelical World View. This of course shows the deep divisions within the Christian movements. Nothing new to Christianity, when one considers the writings of the Apostle Paul against the actions of the Disciple Peter.
To make the points for Christian Dominion-ism in America they employ a number of 'slight-of-hand' tricks with words. Notice how many times the word God is used and how the name Jesus almost never appears carved in our monuments. God is acceptable to almost all of the World Religions. Hell, I am a Deist and I worship God, I just don't find Jesus to be a Deity. A number of our early patriots were Unitarians or Deists.
I do think the 'History' argument you have put forth is weak when juxtaposed with the Constitution.
The Lady Lilly is right. The chances of Henderson County winning in court is very slim.
Let the Churches of Athens put the religious symbols on their property.
These are my thoughts and not those of some organization.

Process Deist

Back to top Go down

Post  John T. Ford Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:56 pm

Processed Deist ...
If my argument is indeed weak, does that mean you are suggesting our Founding Fathers were not men of God? Other than simply disputing my comment, I do not see where you are putting forth a rebuttal based on any fact. Are you arguing that our Founders were not Christian? Also, I must say, there are many things that I do not agree with about the Christian religion as well. But, I don't find it to be my place to right the wrongs of anothers evolution or even lack there of. I find it disturbing that the Deist, like the Atheist devote so much time to disproving the Christian religion. I find that to be a little intolerant and naive thinking that anyone can have any control over anothers spiritual evolution, either for better or for worst. Just my thoughts .... not the thoughts of any organized denomination!
John T. Ford
John T. Ford

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:15 pm

Process Deist wrote:That rips it. Me and my friends and Family wanted to enjoy a weekend at Lake Fork and we started responding to a news story on Tyler News. Then we found ourselves invited to take part in an online webpoll at Free Forum East Texas News and we fell for it hook-line and sinker. We actually thought you wanted our opinions.
Then we are insulted by the very moderators who invited us.
That is the nastiest TROLL that ever existed. Invite the public and then rip them apart when the show up and share their thoughts.
By the way, I hold a degree from Henderson County Jr. College and own land in Henderson County.
Get the Christ Celebration off the Courthouse lawn.

Please see the post in Admin or contact Admin through private messages for any further discussion of banning. It isn't topic relevant.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://easttexasnews.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John T. Ford Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:41 pm

Actually Dick ... it is true that my status on this site is a moderator, I have no real control! other than to bring other members on board. However, if you wish to be a real member of this community I still welcome you. If you want to continue your old troll tricks, although out side my control, then it is probably best that we part ways at this point.

John
John T. Ford
John T. Ford

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:23 pm

Its nice to see so many new members. I encourage everyone to read the following post.
https://easttexasnews.forumotion.com/t74-read-here-before-posting#231
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://easttexasnews.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

What do you think the appropriate course of action is for Henderson County? - Page 2 Empty Welcome

Post  John T. Ford Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:30 pm

It's nice to see your finally posting under Dick Butterworth. And, I have no control over Admin. They are pretty effective and if they have a problem with you I am sure you will hear from them. ......... now that your here .... I know this might be a stretch but, maybe you could post a non-combative intelligent response or heck .... maybe even start an original thread of your own!!!
John T. Ford
John T. Ford

Back to top Go down

What do you think the appropriate course of action is for Henderson County? - Page 2 Empty John & Dick

Post  sdm1201 Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:24 pm

Really? You two still at it? Wow.... its somewhat depressing really.

Samara Morgan

sdm1201

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next